This week on From The Chefs Table, I was wondering why pay $5 + dollars for a loaf for some good bread when you can make it easily for just pennies? So I learned a great no knead multigrain recipe from a friend in Philadelphia this weekend. Just mix the ingredients, let it rise and bake it. Its that easy and you will be so proud of yourself for making something so deliciously amazing. Now get in the kitchen and cook!
Makes 1 large loaf
For the Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup dry roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups water
1. Pre heat oven to 450’F. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and add enough water until dough becomes goopy or very wet consitency. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm spot until size is doubled (about 45 minutes).
2. Put a 6 qt. Dutch oven in oven to heat.
3. Add a splash of olive oil around the rim of the bowl and fold dough a few times. Let it rise a second time for another 45 minutes.
4. Dump dough into hot dutch oven and cover with lid or foil to keep the steam in as its cooking. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake 15 minutes more until golden brown. Take out of Dutch oven and let cool on a rack for 1 hour. Enjoy!
If you are too busy to make this dish yourself, you can always hire Chef Michael Thompson to make it for you in your home. Contact him at 732. 948. 2352 or michael @ chefmichaelthompson.com